Monday, March 30, 2020

Reading Challenge 1


Before school closed we started reading Roald Dahl’s 'George’s Marvellous Medicine'.

Underneath is a poem that George recounts in the story when he decides to make Grandma a new medicine.
Can you read the poem and answer the following questions?


So give me a bug and a jumping flea,
Give me two snails and lizards three,
And a slimy squiggler from the sea,
And the poisonous sting of a bumblebee,
And the juice from the fruit of the ju-jube tree,
And the powered bone of a wombat’s knee.
And one hundred other things as well
Each with rather nasty smell.
I’ll stir them up, I’ll boil them long,
A mixture tough, a mixture strong.
And then, heigh-ho, and down it goes,
A nice big spoonful (hold your nose)
Just gulp it down and have no fear.
“How do you like it, Granny dear?”
Will she go pop? Will she explode?
Will she go flying down the road?
Will she go poof in a puff of smoke?
Start fizzing like a can of coke?
Who knows? Not I. Let’s wait and see.
(I’m glad it’s neither you nor me)
Oh Grandmas, if you only knew

What I have got in store for you!



1)     Can you find two words that rhyme with..?
·        Flea
·        Explode
·        Fear
·        Nose


2)   Can you list 4 things that George plans to add to his medicine?


3)   What adjective describes the sting of a bumblebee?


4)  A nice big spoonful (hold your nose)
Why would the person drinking the medicine need to hold their nose?


5)   How do you think George feels by the end of the poem?



No comments:

Post a Comment